Industrial Transition Accelerator (ITA) Workstream Lead Roles
Policy/Country Engagement /Decarbonisation Solutions + Financing
Location: Remote working from locations within European or US time zones
Conditions: Remote working with some travel.
Reports to: Deputy Director ITA
Hours per week: Full-time
Overtime status: Exempt
Are you passionate about developing innovative solutions to the climate crisis and supercharging industrial decarbonization? Are you interested in being a foundational member of a new organization? If yes, then join our growing team.
The Mission Possible Partnership (MPP) is a movement of climate leaders and companies driving industrial decarbonization across the entire value chain of the world’s highest-emitting sectors: aluminum, cement, chemicals, steel, aviation, shipping, and trucking. Together, these sectors are responsible for >1/3 of global energy emissions. MPP is charting the inventive steps and radical collaboration to enable a critical mass of commercial-scale First Projects by 2030 to put these sectors on track to net zero.
The Industrial Transition Accelerator (ITA)’s mission is to catalyse decarbonisation across heavy-emitting sectors, including energy, industry, and transportation, and accelerate the delivery of Paris-aligned targets. The ITA brings global industry leaders together with policymakers, finance, and technical experts to unlock investment and rapidly scale a critical mass of projects by 2030, to put these sectors on a 1.5°C-aligned pathway to net zero.
Backed by a joint contribution of $30 million from the COP28 Presidency and Bloomberg Philanthropies, the ITA is designed to empower decarbonisation efforts within its target heavy-emitting sectors. MPP will host the Secretariat of the ITA and lead its delivery alongside key industrial, governmental, and non-governmental partners.
We are looking for individuals to join our team and lead various workstreams for the ITA. Roles may differ based on candidate experience levels mixed with needs of the organization. First workstream focus areas will be on policy support, country engagement and decarbonization solutions and financing. Please see the descriptions below.
Lead the design and execution of policy workstreams within the ITA, collaborating with partners to drive impactful policy changes, monitoring progress, addressing challenges, and leveraging insights to optimise the impact of the workstreams’ outcomes.
- Lead the design and execution of a dedicated policy workstream, working closely with delivery partners to ensure timely delivery of high-quality products.
- Collaborate with stakeholders, policymakers, and advocacy groups to identify priority policy levers for decarbonization of hard-to-abate sectors and drive impactful policy changes.
- Monitor progress, address challenges, and adapt strategies to maximize the effectiveness of the policy workstream in advancing the ITA’s objectives.
- Stay informed about evolving policy landscapes and leverage insights to shape strategic initiatives and optimise the impact the ITA’s policy recommendations.
- Identify and support key opportunities for ITA engagement with international policy initiatives, including COP Presidencies, G20, G7 and Clean Energy Ministerial. Foster strong working relationships with other initiative and stakeholders in this space.
Country Engagement Support
Develop and implement a country platform strategy for the ITA, integrating country engagement, policy advocacy, and partner outreach, while continuously assessing and refining the strategy to optimise the initiative’s impact on a national scale and regional scale.
- Develop and implement a tailored country platform strategy, integrating stakeholder management, policy advocacy, country prioritization, and partner outreach.
- Analyse national dynamics, identify strategic entry points, and align engagement efforts with the unique socio-economic and environmental context of the country. Continuously assess and refine the strategy to optimize the impact of the ITA on a national scale.
- Cultivate and nurture relationships between governments, industry partners, and local stakeholders to foster collaboration and support for the ITA’s country platforms.
- Act as a key liaison, between global and key national stakeholders, facilitating bilateral engagement and planning in-country workshops. Understand and address the unique needs and concerns of diverse global stakeholders.
Decarbonisation Solutions and Financing Lead
Drive the development of strategic decarbonisation tools and financial models, cultivate partnerships with lead financial institutions and initiatives to secure support for workstreams, and establish reporting frameworks to track performance and impact metrics in alignment with organizational goals.
- Drive the development of analytical decarbonisation tools and financial models to support the ITA, ensuring effective planning and execution of projects aligned with organizational goals. Work with partner organisations responsible for the detailed design of tools and models.
- Cultivate and manage partnerships with financial institutions, investors, and key stakeholders to secure leadership and support for the ITA’s solutions and financing workstreams. Implement engagement strategies to strengthen relationships and foster collaboration and adoption.
- Establish reporting frameworks to track performance and impact metrics of the workstreams. Provide regular reports on the status of the workstreams, ensuring transparency and accountability in alignment with the ITA’s goals.
General Position Requirements:
- 3-5+ years of relevant experience in a high-caliber environment (corporate C-Suite, government, or top-tier strategy consulting firm)
- Prior experience and good knowledge of the climate space, in particular of energy, industry and/or transport decarbonization.
- Proactive and self-starter, appetite for working autonomously in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent project management and coordination skills – ability to support a complex programme delivered by a lean team, maintaining direction while adapting to changing circumstances.
- Clear, high-quality communication: verbal, written, presentation. Ability to develop compelling narratives based on quantitative and qualitative data, and write concise, well-structured documents conveying clear but subtle messages.
- Developed experience with stakeholder engagement.
- Experience interacting with senior executives.
- Collaborative team player, with strong interpersonal and relationship management skills.
- Ability to develop and nurture trusting relationships and partnerships with a range of stakeholders (inc. senior executives) from different organisational and geographical horizons.
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills, excellent digital skills.
- Flexibility in approach and comfortable in an entrepreneurial/start-up environment.
- Bachelor’s or equivalent degree.
Additional Desirable Requirements:
For Policy Support:
- Prior experience in an NGO or private sector with Government, IGO or a public affairs related role.
For Country Engagement Support:
- Stakeholder engagement experience: bringing together diverse stakeholders from private sector, policy, and finance to work on low-carbon energy solutions.
For Decarbonization Solutions and Finance Lead:
- Bachelor’s degree in economics, climate related discipline, or a STEM subject.
- Experience working in a quantitative energy-related role.
- Experience building/working with analytical tools, particularly relating to industrial/heavy transport decarbonisation and cross-cutting energy solutions (renewables, CCUS, Hydrogen).
- Experience working in/with membership organisations, and the corporate, NGO and policy worlds.
- Working knowledge of a global language (e.g. Spanish, Mandarin, Portuguese, etc).
MPP compensates based on the level and requirements of the role. Salary within our ranges may also be determined by your education, experience, knowledge, skills, and abilities, as required by the role, as well as internal equity and alignment with market data.
If you are interested in joining our team we would like to hear from you. Please send resume and cover letter to our HR team at [email protected]