Net-Zero Steel Initiative
We are an initiative of industry champions working towards net-zero emissions in a critical component of our infrastructure and our lives: steel.
The Net-Zero Steel Initiative (NZSI) aims to put the global steel sector on a path to reach net-zero emissions by 2050 by:
- Partnering with an international group of steel industry leaders
- Bringing zero-carbon primary steel production technologies to market by 2030
- Accelerating the growth of scrap-based production
- Focusing on supply dimensions
- Demonstrating how steel can be a key part of a net-zero economy
SECTOR TRANSITION TOOLS
Endorsed by major global steelmakers, MPP’s Steel Transition Strategy provides a shared vision for the industry’s low-carbon future, providing real economy milestones and detailing the industry, policy, and finance action required to get to net zero on a 1.5C-aligned pathway. It outlines, for example, that over 190 Mt/y of near-zero emissions primary steel production capacity would need to be up and running by 2030 to kick-off the transition to net zero in the 2030s and 2040s. This would mean converting the current pipeline to 2030 of ‘low-carbon’ primary steel capacity to near-zero emissions technologies and expanding it by a factor of three before the end of the decade.